private
logo
http://www.ccgnlalumni.com/

CCGAA Meeting Minutes
March 9, 2018

Cape Harrison Board Room, Southside Road Base
In Attendance Les Noseworthy, Harold Chubbs, Melvin Burt, Lorne Humphries, John Butler, Bren Rose, Fred Jardine, John Summers, Gerry Cantwell, Anne George, Norm Porter.
Call To Order. The meeting was called to order at 9:30 a.m.
Business Arising - Dec. 15th. Gerry welcomed all members to the meeting.
1. Errors or Omissions from Dec. 15th Minutes - There were no errors or omissions to these minutes.
2. Gerry welcomed all members to the meeting and noted that John B has taken up the role of secretary for the group.
3. Earlier this year the alumni received a tax bill for the Cape Spear site based on the city limits being expanded to include the Cape. Anne George met with city hall and was able to provide documentation to exempt the site from taxes as a registered charity.
4. Artifacts from the Franklin were discussed and the likelihood that there were few given as the ship was transferred to another region. John B to check with Ed Matthews on this issue and see what he believes to be stored with CCG.
5. Constitutional update still a work in progress with Gordon B. At the June meeting we should review what has been done and make a decision to move on with recommendations. If Gordon B is not able to attend we could try and hook him up via phone for discussion.
6. Summer student applications submitted and awaiting response. Group hopes to have 3 students this year but could operate with 2. All agreed to continue with augmentation of salary to obtain the better students. Anne G reviewed the stipulations on the agreement and that they were in conflict with some members values however they were consistent with the charter of rights.
All agreed that we should continue with the application.
New Business
1. Acceptance of Minutes - MOVED BY Anne G, SECONDED BY John Butler that the minutes of the Dec 15, 2017 be adopted as presented with all in favour.
2. Treasurer's Report - Anne G. presented the Treasurer's Report for the period Jan1 - Feb 28th, 2018. We may be able to renegotiate a higher interest rate on our GIC later in the year. Dues for the alumni are also now due. MOVED BY Fred Jardine, SECONDED BY Bren Rose that the Treasurer's Report from January 1 - Feb 28th, 2018 be approved.
3. Audit of the books have to be done by a non board member. John B will assist with Anne Bown. Work completed on March 14th.
4. On March 7th Les Noseworthy was the recipient of the Manning Award by the Historic Sites Association at the Sheraton and followed by reception at government house for his work with the Alumni in recording and preserving the lightstations of NL in art work and books. Very prestigious award and the alumni proud of their work with Les.
5. Maritime Museum project with Port de Grave Heritage Group is moving ahead with 14 members in agreement and minor typo in MOU to be adjusted. Agreement can be signed in May as we plan to start moving some artifacts out to the site this spring following review of what should be transferred initially. Dan Pike indicated that we may have some swing space in the CCG building if we need it in the transport of the assets. A general discussion ensued about the potential of the museum and its positive impacts on the Alumni and the energy that the PDG group are putting into the project. John B and Gerry C attended a planning session for businesses with ACOA and John B a further planning session in PDG on business opportunities. All were well done.
6. Tony Fitzgerald suggested that Bruce Stacey's name be associated with the museum. All were in agreement as he initiated the project.
7. Gerry thought that Dan has gone above and beyond in the support of the alumni and that we may want to do some of the transportation ourselves with the artifacts.
8. John B discussed the low level of membership and engagement challenges and suggested we need to broaden the membership base with social activities to engage the next group of retirees. John volunteered to lead this initiative with the support of the group. A planning session for a CCG and retiree BBQ is planned for May 15th at the CCG base and a BBQ sometime in late June probably at one of the service organizations. We will start small and hope to build support and engagement in the alumni and its projects. A number of these were discussed such as the Cape, honour guard, support to retirees upon the death of family member and the Port de Grave Maritime and Lighthouse Museum. Initial response has been very encouraging with 7-8 retirees already volunteering to assist.
9. Roundtable: A few items regarding the potential additional roles of the alumni were discussed. Great discussion.
10. Date for the next meeting - Friday, June 15th, 2018.
11. Motion to Adjourn: MOVED BY Norm P, SECONDED BY John Butler, all in favour.

top
back